There've been many studies on resisting temptation or in gauging present versus future benefits. The marshmallow test where kids are left in a room with a single marshmallow. If they wait a certain period of time, they are rewarded with a second marshmallow to consume alongside the first. Such gooey deliciousness! But twice as much! Double goodness! Who wouldn't want that? Apparently most kids don't.
When presented with either the choice of getting $100 now or getting $200 a year from now, why would most choose the now instead of later? It's not money that we have anyways, so why not wait a year for double the gain? Or perhaps it's the uncertainty of the situation: how do I know the promise'll be upheld? How will I know if I survive long enough to even get that money? Better to get it now than to be gypped later, no?
Of course these lack... any sort of negative impact. However, what about procrastination? I would rather game now than game later. In fact, I would love to drop all the studying that needs to be done and game or read manga. We know it's a bad idea. Yet we all do it. But why? Why are we so weak to temptation?
I don't know why. I only know that I am weak-willed and easily susceptible. I'll slip up and things'll be irreversible. Then it'll just be too late.
In other news...
I did want to talk about Donkey Kong Country Returns and Cataclysm... but it's getting sort of late... and I'm tired as my Bcem class can attest to. Noticeably dozing off is probably not conducive to anything, much less towards absorbing, comprehending, and reproducing on an exam.
Another day, another post.
1 solutions:
Temptations are hard to beat because they play on our desire for instant gratification. At the same time though, depending on what you focus on will get you past certain temptations.
Keep on going, you're almost done ^^
PS the word verification was 'unrant'. Lol.
Post a Comment