Assigned Problems

10/24/10

Instant Gratification

10/24/10
As our digital world accelerates to faster and faster paces, it seems that we want to do the same as well. We want to get to places quicker; we want our websites to load quicker, we want our food now; we want to movie to start now. We want to be gratified. Now.

Instant gratification makes sense. Gratification gives us a positive feeling whether it is fulfillment, success, achievement, satisfaction; who doesn't want these feelings?

It relates to why we seem to procrastinate so much instead of studying. When we're studying, the results aren't immediate... sometimes, we don't even see the result of it. The test is a week away. We won't get the test back until two weeks after. It's not clear whether we do well or not. It's well an uncertain outcome that we must put work into.

On the other hand, when we procrastinate, we know what we'll get. I'll be entertained if I watch TV. I can socialize and joke around if I'm on Facebook. It's an outcome we know will clearly occur, and we can get it instantly.

For me... that's gaming. Getting to the next stage; advancing the story; leveling up; better and stronger weapons; newer and stronger enemies; harder and more devious puzzles. I know these will come and they're things I welcome.

At what expense though?

The gratification achieved from the long term work is often more rewarding, but the difficulty in achieving it in light of how easy it is for instant gratification... makes it so much harder to stay on track. Sure, I can get a stronger character. But what of it? Does that really help me get ahead in life? Will that help me find who I really am? What I believe in? The knowledge I need to become who I want to be?


There's more some "In other news...", but that'll have to wait.

1 solutions:

an said...

Regarding instant gratification... Hit the nail on the head.