Assigned Problems

2/9/11

Miscommunications Across the Gender Barrier

2/9/11
The title sounds academic, but the post is anything but.

Or rather... it feels like I sometimes have poor communication with females. Either the point I'm trying to make comes off wrong or I somehow interpret things wrong.

As we all know, communication is key for relationships between people of any sort. Then it should also stand that miscommunication would result in well, some sort of disruption / argument / confusion / feelings that may somehow be hurt.

It's rather confusing sometimes. Sometimes, I think my actions are rather clear. For some reason however, it is misinterpreted. Ridiculously so. Or perhaps too many assumptions are being made.

I joke about something. Apparently it's not a joke to them. I decide to do something else because it's a rare something-to-do. Apparently I am avoiding them. I decide to focus on studying. Apparently I'm ignoring someone.

Oh by the by, these are pseudo-random generated and aren't necessarily based on real facts / events that happened to me specifically, but rather to people I know in general.

So how does the whole gender thing come into play? It just seems that... as far as the symbolic 'bro' thing goes, bros just understand these things better. Or something of the like. I don't seem to ever have argument with my brofriends over accidental insults. We just kind of laugh it off and move on.

It makes sense though.

Regardless of all the 'equality' we're striving for, there'll always be differences between us. If not biologically so, our society sure makes it that way: the way genders are portrayed, the way products are targeted and sold, even pricing with haircuts.

I mean... if there's gender equality, why is it that women have more expensive cuts than guys? Wouldn't it make more sense for the price to be based on length and difficulty since some guys have long hair and some women have short hair?

At the bottom of it all, we're made differently. We're designed or we've evolved to who we are now for a reason. If we're designed this way, it's because He wants us to have these roles. If we've evolved this way, it's because in this way we maximize our fitness somehow.

So if that's the way we are, then as males, we journey through a path that is slightly different than that of females. This probably allows us to bond in a way that females can't comprehend and vice-versa. It's also this difference that creates a slight barrier when we collide because we think of things in slightly different ways.

Analogy-wise, it's like two tectonic plates colliding and a mountain rising in between. We have to figure out a way to travel across or we'll never experience what happens on the other side.

Or something something.

I'm rambling. Or incoherent. It's been a long two weeks.

2 solutions:

an said...

Agreed > < when couples work out their differences and work together though, it's also more amazing than if they had originally left the other gender alone.
Yay, food-for-thought post ^^.

Eastwood said...

Despite the many differences between men and women, we're not all that different. After all, at the fundamental level of sexual differentiation, we all once had the genital tubercle. Testosterone -- the supposedly "male" hormone -- plays a role in sexual arousal in both women and men.

I get a sense that you're seeing the gender inequality -- rather, inequity, since the disparity is unjust -- yet accepting the belief that gender, as a social construct, ought to result in certain behaviours.

Controlling all other variables, women earn less than men do across professions, from the conference table to the operating room. Is this fair? Is this just? Is this merely the product of evolution? Is this maximising fitness?

Or is this simply injustice? Not that long ago, women could not vote.

I am a man and a feminist: I support the the elimination of inequities between women and men.