Anyways.
Surprisingly, every group actually did something different. Well, there's only 5 groups, so the chance of overlap was greatly reduced. If we increased the sample size... I digress.
A group did a little background on India, the Deities there as well as its caste system before breaking down into a charades game using important symbols and imagery from the novel The Hero's Walk by Anita Rau Badami (a good book btw). The presentation preceding the charades was the typical powerpoint thing with massive word overload. The charades itself was pretty entertaining and their explanation of the terms and how they relate was interesting. I wish I didn't get 'tree' though. I have no idea how to act out a tree.
Their group was the only one that worked on Badami's book. The rest of us did Brand's What We All Long. The second group, us, did that documentary thing.
Third group did a World Cup mock-up with us split into groups for the final four. They placed a huge quote on the screen and we were to duel each other through explication. There wasn't a tangible way of keeping track who was really winning, but the class decided to just use the winning prize (a few Tim Horton's gift cards) to buy the class timbits. Whee.
Fourth group did a powerpoint presentation. Talked about Toronto itself, it's different locales and how they demonstrate both segregation and hybridity. Other topics included the Vietnamese boat people (people escaping from the Vietnam war) and relating the book to the movie Crash.
Fifth group did a Jeopardy parody with the topics of: Character, Setting, Theme, Imagery, and Contextualization. The highest scoring points were again massive quotes that we had to explicate. The only problem I found was that once we reached that point, we weren't necessarily relating those quotes back to the topic.. but just an explication in general. Helpful nonetheless. Cheap loss for us with the very last question.
Overall, it's an interesting way to finish off an English class. Not that we're completely done yet.
In other news...
Forgot to mention, got my stats midterm and my English essay back. Both turned out rather well, surprisingly. Stats I was worried about because I didn't get much chance to study, and ended up cramming near the end. English I was worried about mostly due to trauma because I've never done exceptionally well on an English paper. Ever. I guess I was really trying to change the trend here.
I spent.... I'm quite sure now that I think about it more than 20 hours on that thing. Reading the text, rereading the text while taking notes, notes from class, filtering the text into my succinct points, typing said points and organizing them into groups, searching for secondary literature sources, writing a rough draft, revising, sending it out for edits, revising again, sending it out again, revising again, talking with the prof, sending it out for edits, then revising again. o___o. I'm actually surprised I even spent that amount of time. Then in the end we all still managed to miss a spelling error and a missed quotation mark. Fail.
... and I'm going to be late now. Oops.
1 solutions:
yay, you rock!
and people's presentations sound really interesting. ^^
hehe...
good job dii.
Post a Comment