Assigned Problems

11/22/10

Asian Inter-Club Dodgeball Tournament

11/22/10
I'll be honest. I haven't played dodgeball since ... grade 10? That was quite a long time ago. So playing dodgeball again was a good dose of nostalgia that... at the same time reminded me of how much older I am now.

For one thing, one of the recent trends I have with sports, namely hurting myself, was prevalent while playing: a scraped knee, a twisted ankle, and I pulled my right arm. Scraping was bound to happen from ducking / dodging. Twisted ankle was from a bad step. Arm... was from not knowing how to whip the ball properly.

Other than the hurting myself bit, it was really fun. The Japanese Students Association (JSA), although newly formed and insufficient in roster count, managed to place 3rd amongst 6 teams. Against the trickery of the TSA and the might of the KSA, we beat the odds and won quite a few matches.

Dodgeball was always something to look forward to in PE. Now I really want to play again.

But I should really stop hurting myself. Lol.


In other news...


The lack of work done this weekend was... unsurprising. It is also depressing. I also realized that obsessive gaming runs in the family. I think my brother's been playing Tetris non-stop for the past 3 or 4 hours now. My mom's been playing Critter Crunch for the past 3ish hours at least.


My Scrabble pride was regained today after crushing my opponent by 49 points. A much greater difference than the 5 point win in the previous match. However, if we played with a timer... I'd probably lose pretty badly since I take way too much time with my turns.


It's already the 22nd of November? When did that happen? I vaguely remember the month just starting. That's scary. 3 more weeks of classes... then it's going to be finals. Two whole finals. Oh noes. Will have to start hardcoring. Next week. Or at least from Thursday since my paper and presentation will be done by then.


Urge to play boardgames since we haven't played in a while. Killer Bunnies, Small World, Zombies!!!, Munchkins, Gloom, Dutch Blitz... blah.


Anyone read the article on being Too Asian from Maclean's? I don't even know where to begin... or if I'm coherent enough to begin. Regardless... there's a lot of personal opinion here without some hard facts. I want some statistics if they're going to say that Asians are doing better or that we're taking up their spots or something.

Also, I like how the basic argument is mostly "they study harder than us and took up our spots, it's not fair." Furthermore, when did the focus of university become partying? I thought the purpose of university was to attain a higher level of education. Silly people. It's a balance between 'life' and 'academics'. If you choose to party and study less... than your academics is going to suffer.

Of course, there's always the 'genius' people that don't need to study, or seem to require less time studying to understand things. I'm a bit envious of those people.

Seriously... “At graduation a Canadian—i.e. ‘white’—mother told me that I’m the reason her son didn’t get a space in university and that all the immigrants in the country are taking up university spots”? That's hilarious: The world is too difficult right now; lower the standards so my lazy child can do well without having to do any work.

Or perhaps their child has disabilities and/or family issues, and they're trying their best, so the grading scheme should be more lenient. Or perhaps they need to also take into account how much partying you can do?

...or perhaps I'll save the discussion on how the school system and its focus on number and grades for next time.


My eyes hurt. Good night.

2 solutions:

an said...

Apparently Macleans received flak for the article and tried to pull it off their site until protest arose.
Board games please indeed! > <

Linda said...

your comments on the article sound so...strikingly familiar. XD

No one who does well in university can do it without studying. Nobody. (I assume you're looking at decent (ie not worthless) courses at a decent university.) They are putting in effort, no matter how easy it seems for them.

It might just be that for some people, their effort is concentrated in their foundation - many people I know who seem to follow QM and thermodynamics really well had childhoods of very rigorous math practice, for example.