Assigned Problems

4/23/11

Trine

4/23/11
Yes, I opted out of studying to play Trine instead. Or rather, as a break of sorts. (I'm leaving Magicka for another post because I'm not completely done with it yet).

So basically, I've been pseudo prepping for the last final (Soci) by just reading through the textbook and going through my notes. It's a style of studying I've long ago abandoned because I realized it was ineffective. Yet, given the amount of time (and focus) I have left, doing this is probably better than doing nothing. Studying consisted of reading a chapter, playing a level in Trine, playing a few rounds of Tetris, then repeat. And repeat, I did.


Trine is a platformer with physics-based puzzle solutions in a fantasy setting. The game revolves around through archetypal characters: the wizard, the knight, and the thief as they gallivant across the country to free themselves from some sort of magical artifact that has bound the three of their souls together and to see what was causing the undead to rise.

The wizard can conjure up boxes, planks, and a floating platform as well as telekinetic abilities to move objects around. The thief can use a bow to shoot enemies, light torches on fire, and has a grappling hook for wooden surfaces. The knight has a sword and shield and can also lift heavy objects. Using a combination of the three of their unique capabilities, you do a quite a bit of jumping around, crossing dangerous chasms and pits of spikes and demolishing hordes of skeletons.

The premises of the game is rather interesting, although the 'fighting' itself was a bit clunky and never really felt right. The jumping was also a bit 'floaty', making it difficult to control the characters at times. Or perhaps it's just me because this has been occurring in several games I've played. I'm losing my touch D=.


In any case, it's back to 'studying' for that final in 2 hours. Before I'm done. Woot.

1 solutions:

an said...

YOU'RE DONE.
^^