Assigned Problems

7/23/10

Impulse Purchases

7/23/10
Offshoot from a discussion with my brother regarding online shopping...

The scary thing about online shopping is the ease with which it can be done. From your very seat (maybe the seat that you're in now), you can browse thousands of products and make a purchase, all with the click of a button.

Online shopping is definitely useful, especially for buying things that aren't sold in your region. It's only online that you can find incredibly weird and fantastic products like the watches from Tokyoflash or Magnetic Silly Putty (which is seriously awesome. Come on. Magnetic. Silly. Putty).

However, because of how easy it is to make the purchase (as stated: with a few clicks), you often purchase things before you've thought it all over: can you really afford it? Is it necessary? Do you need it? What else could you buy with that money? Personally, I have made a few impulse purchases. I have been using them though (games, books), for the most part anyways.

The internet doesn't make it any easier for you, nor would they because they want your money, remember? Flashy signs, discounts left and right, constant emails of new products you can't be without, it's dangerous out there.

But what about purchases in person? You're bombarded with discount signs and whatnot there as well, no? A difference here is that you get more time. Going to the store, finding your object of interest, waiting in line... that all adds up. It gives you more time to think. The thinking part's important.

That's probably what kept me from buying the Grand Emporium anyways. Maybe.


In other news...


I beat Puzzle Quest 2. The story... made no sense. Or rather, I still don't know what the point of the story was... or ever remember what it was about... at all. Then again, the story was never the main draw of playing Puzzle Quest. It was always more along the lines of playing Bejeweled with an RPG-twist. So fun yet so frustrating sometimes. I think I spent about 15-20 hours? There's no in-game clock... so actually it was probably more.


Less than 20 days till I write the MCAT. Scary.


I wonder why random instances of the day (words, figures, objects) can cause so much frustration. I should work on the whole 'lower expectations' thing, I'd probably be happier with life. Not an A? No problem. Rejected? No problem. Not playing that well? No problem. Studying isn't coming through? No problem. No more chocolate? No problem.

0 solutions: