Should really be sleeping... (as usual)
So what's happening in the next couple of days?
- Zoology Lab midterm tomorrow
- Another 6 hours of labs tomorrow (as if the 6 hours on Tuesday wasn't enough)
- Going to be busy Friday / Saturday night
- Zoology new species assignment due monday
- Genetics / Chemistry lab and prelabs due tuesday
- Zoology midterm Wednesday
- Genetics midterm somewhere the week after along with more chem / genetics lab prelab and ecology methods part of lab report
Anyways, as someone kindly pointed out to me a while back, I tend to integrate whatever science or math or whatever that I've learnt into everyday situations and analogies. Maybe it's how I learn things.
Some shining examples that happened in the past few days:
1) Did you know the ST129's chairs display a dominant epistasis pattern for chair color? It's true. The orange, brown, and white chairs display a 12:3:1 ratio that is characteristic of dominant epistasis. Furthermore, a chi-square test of the values gives a promising 1.27, meaning that this hypothesis is within reason and is acceptable. Go figure.
2) Comparing video game looting theory to forage optimization techniques. If there is a high density of good prey, one would need to spend less time eating the bad prey and go directly for the good one. If there is a low density of good prey, one would need to spend more time eating the bad prey because the good prey are so few and far between that it would not sustain the predator otherwise. Likewise, in games, if during a particular raid / romp in the woods, there is a high drop rate of good loot, one could bear with carrying less of the common items because it'd be worth more to sell the good loot. Insane.
3) The Hawk-Dove-Bourgeoisie way of animal behavior can also be compared to real life examples. Hawks are aggressive, Doves are passive, and Bourgeoisie can be both aggressive or passive depending on their perceptions of if they 'own' something. Anyways, we came to the conclusion that the human race in general is really similar to the Bourgeoisie because we tend to become more aggressive over things that we see as ours whereas we're passive when it comes to things that aren't ours. Which makes sense. If it's not ours, why fight so hard for it? We can relate this to attacking Iraq, Napoleon's failures, Hitler's failures, etc. etc..
4) Bond length. Optimum bond length is attained when it gives the minimum potential energy. Too close and there is great repulsion; moving away it'll attract; too far and it'll break. In a way, similar to people's relationships... except the getting close part in a variety of sense that I hesitate to delve into because that would take way too long.
In other news...
Recently been falling asleep more often than usual. On the bus. During class. In the lab. On the car. Before class. Shoulders. On the floor. My brother's room. Parent's bed. I just need a very short moment to collapse every once in a while or I'll literally collapse for good.
Leg still hurts like crazy. Pseudo limping while going downstairs is required. Not allowed to go jogging. Really really want to play squash though. So darn fun.
... why am I doing this when I could shower / review my notes one more time before I sleep?
10/15/09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 solutions:
This is coming from a sick person: GET SOME REST! It'll do you good!
And the sleep thing might have rubbed off from Ryan, too... XD
Anyway, integrating science/math into real life IS a way of learning; I did it in high school and people thought I was a loser, haha
Your blogs are often so educational.
Or entertaining, at least.
Epistasis - when did you have time to count the chairs?
Bond length - agree.
Sleep a little more please >.< Especially before the midterm season hits us all XD
Sadly I was there to witness all of these epic moments of science and life collide. I would like to consider myself "inspirational"
... right.
'falling asleep on shoulders' AHEM.
Yes you've been falling asleep lots. I realize how terrible it looks, and that I also really need to stop falling asleep in middle of lectures... Especially when I actually like the lecture.
yay!
I loved this blog.
applying the ideas to real life is the best way to learn.
as long as you know the fundamental difference (eg between biological epistasis ratios and chair colour ratios. XD)
keep on truckin.
Post a Comment