So many. Such cascading effects. It's... confusing to say the least.
Understandably, we see why during labs we try to limit our variables to just one. Trying to correlate the effects of several variables on one thing takes way too much work. Well, technically speaking, it is possible, but it requires a great deal of analysis as well as complex computer algorithms and whatnot.
Not the point here.
So how complex can it get?
Starting with something simple: one variable. This one is easy enough since it's something we're familiar with since... grade 10? One factor varies, the other is the result. When x is this, y is that. Easy enough. Easy to imagine in the mind. A 2-D graph. For example, turning the knob clockwise increases the volume while turning it counterclockwise decreases volume. Limits on how loud the speaker can go, or when there's no sound at all.
Moving on: two variables. Slightly more complicated. Not only does the result Z depend on X, but on Y as well. This could result in some wavy line of weird oscillarity. It'd be of course... a 3-D graph. Still not too hard to wrap around your head right? If there's a good amount of sunshine and a good amount of rain, the plant's biomass will increase compared to other plants... assuming that the density of the plants as well as the nutrient composition in the soil is similar.
What about... three variables? That's already very hard to visualize. If we're going along with the trend of one and two variables, we would require a 4-D graph. How does that even work? If a line exists in the dimension of time, it could be arguable that any point on this line (at least to us people that live in 3-D) would exist at more than two locations at once.
I mean, obviously this isn't the case in real life. Looking at plants again we'd take into account sunlight, rain, nutrients, predators, density, randomness in weather, pollution, etc etc. That's a lot of variables. Difficult to wrap around, but certainly possible with what technology we have.
Another broader example, say from our lives: so many variables factor into how the day goes or how we do on an exam. Accidents happen, maybe we're affected by the weather, didn't study enough, didn't eat breakfast, stomach ain't feeling well, you got sick, the exam is super tricky, there's lots of people coughing in the room, you run out of lead, coffee rush is gone, you fall asleep.
So many many things... how do we keep track of it all?
I find that when trying to make a decision in life, it's sort of the other way around. Say someone asks you out for lunch. There's only one variable: go or don't go. But this has a cascade effect on a multitude of other things: maybe the food wasn't good, you get in an accident on the way there, you bump into a celebrity, you get a free meal, you found a quarter on the street on the way there, an opportunity to eat with a better person comes up.... so on so forth.
How do I keep track of everything? It isn't really as simple as just saying yes or saying no. The consequences of such words... can be huge.
So.... what to do? What to say? What to choose? Weighing the pros and cons? Which choice would have a greater benefit? How to make the choice without regretting the decision?
What...should I do? What do you want me to do?
...
In other news...
I managed to kill my other leg too. And people thought swimming wasn't dangerous (other than drowning?). So now I have no clue which leg I should be limping on because walking on either one hurts. Going down stairs is also ridiculously painful. This is all kinds of fleh.
Ecol intro lab marks came back. Fail. Zool lab quiz back. Fail. Zool assignment. Fail. Zool midterm. Wait for it. Fail. Great. Freaking amazing no? Guess I really shouldn't have set such high hopes about my grades. It was a miracle I got what I did last year and this year is just a huge reality check. Not just related to my grades either, apparently.
... because I'm also reminded that I'm not that physically able since I get hurt way too easily. Rendering me unable to do anything now. Among other things.
Not looking forward to the upcoming midterms. Not very confident about my capabilities anymore.
This is seriously all kinds of f'd up. It seriously is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 solutions:
oh noes... being hurt physically is bad enough, what with midterms upon us and all.
*patpat* although your trains of thought are coherent in themselves, it is still hard to keep them all in order. but don't be discouraged. =)
Post a Comment