Assigned Problems

8/31/10

Hobo Hoedown

8/31/10
Below is a paraphrase of a conversation between me and my brother after seeing a hobo with one of those cardboard signs.

"Where do they get the pens and the cardboard for their signs?"
"Maybe they scavenge for the cardboard from shops?"
"Well, maybe they start off from pure begging, then they save up enough to go buy a sharpie from Wal-mart"
"Then they scavenge for the cardboard for their signs?"
"Yeah. Then they start lending out the use of their pen to other hobos at 25 cents or something"
"Then another hobo with a sharpie decides to lend his pen out for 20 cents instead"
"They'd have to fight each other over who can lend their sharpie out, right?"
"Yeah."
"So it's like a hobo hoedown?"
"Lol, hobo hoedown"


In other news...


Testing out my new laptop right now while at the same time tweaking things here and there. Also trying out the keyboard and whatnot since I might as well get used to it before I have to type a lot (or very little?) during the school year. Also installing random stuff and trying to retrieve some of the data that I'm missing. So far everything seems to be going alright. I'm just trying to adjust to Windows7 more than anything else.


If anyone has read What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell, remembering that chapter on hindsight... things always seem so obvious when we look back. I mean, all the points were pointing at that result, yet how could no one see it coming? I can't remember what his final thesis on that was... but I guess it could be like playing beside a cliff because it'd be cool / fun / exciting only to fall off the edge. It seems like a wonderful idea at the time. Until you fall.


Do you know someone that always has to bring what they were planning or going to do, just so their thoughts and effort in planning are still appreciated regardless of if they did it or not? They're rather... something. I'm also a little afraid that I do it sometimes too. Please slap me in the face when I do.


Have I mentioned that my left wrist has been hurting? It's been like that for a few weeks now. I guess it's not going to go away and I should get it checked.


So I bought Donkey Kong Country on the virtual console on the Wii for my mom (and me, sort of) to play. I was showing her how to get to the game, and the controls for the game, and it sort of shocked me how she couldn't remember to do most things. Shocking of course because she use to play this game a lot and knew more of the secrets in the game than I did. Will I also not remember how to play games someday? Or will I be okay since games will (probably) be a staple of my life as I continue to age? Second issue is that I hope she doesn't hog the console like she did when I first got her Critter Crunch.


I want to help.

1 solutions:

an said...

Ooro. Please have your wrist checked dii > <
And the chapter on hindsight... hm, thoughts for another comment. Whee.